"priced competitive" organic spices, a comprehensive 100% certified organic seasoning solution for food industry
American Natural & Organic Spices™
The nutmeg tree is any of several species of trees in genus Myristica. The most important commercial species is Myristica fragrans, an evergreen tree indigenous to the Banda Islands in the Moluccas of Indonesia, or Spice Islands. The nutmeg tree is important for two spices derived from the fruit, nutmeg and mace.
Our headquarters in Fremont, CA
Nutmeg is the actual seed of the tree, roughly egg-shaped and about 1 inch long. The first harvest of nutmeg trees takes place 7–9 years after planting, and the trees reach full production after 20 years. Nutmeg is usually used in powdered form. Nutmeg is the only tropical fruit that is the source of two different spices.
Oleoresins are the true essence of spices representing their holistic character in terms of flavor, color and taste attributes. American Organics has a wide range of spice extracts including their enriched flavor/color/taste versions to meet the growing sophistication of the food processing industry and its diverse needs.
American Organics offer super critical extracts in partnership with leaders in extraction industry in a state-of-the-art manufacturing plant for Super Critical (CO2, SCCO2) Extraction. Here green, environment-friendly isolates of the botanical are extracted by eliminating solvent residue and high temperature processing. These super critical extracts find exquisite application in premium food products, aromatherapy and perfumery.
CO2 extraction uses Carbon Dioxide gas for extraction. We use high purity CO2 (99.9%) food grade for extraction. No other solvent is used.
CO2 extracts only Oil soluble components and is used under high pressure up to 450 Bar (45 MPA). Temperatures are never more than 70 Degrees C and therefore the volatile components are not degraded/lost as in steam extraction. CO2 actually extracts the complete plant profile and gives the true taste and aromatic profile of the natural material.
Other benefits of CO2 extraction are:
- CO2 does not extract any heavy metals like lead, mercury etc. These heavy metals are found in most plants as they are taken in to the plant from the soil.
- Since high pressure is used the microbial content is destroyed giving a microbial free material. This increases the shelf life of CO2 extracts and thereby the shelf life of the food item it is added to. Shelf life is typically 2-5 years for CO2 extracts.
- CO2 extracts do not require any special storage condition and can be kept in normal room temperature around 30 degrees C.
- CO2 extracts are typically only 5% of the raw spice and therefore the transportation cost and storage costs are lower. Added to this is the lower space required for the extract versus the raw spice.
- Most of our customers have found the per kg usage cost of CO2 extract versus solvent extract is not higher, it would be same if not lower than solvent extracts as the product is purer and better.
- Extracts also give a more consistent quality from lot to lot.
The following CO2 extracts are available for prompt delivery: